martes, 12 de noviembre de 2013

Beetroot Leek soup




Recently, while looking for a way to make preserves out of pomegranates, I discovered a brilliant website, http://cafefernando.com/. There are quite a few delicious pomegranate recipes, and many more things! Among them, I found this one http://cafefernando.com/roasted-beet-soup/ and immediately wanted to try it.

And since I have a very big oven, and I am always trying to use it for several things at a time so it seems more worth it turning it on, I came up with a whole plan of how I was going to make bread, beet soup, and potato - fennel gratin all in one go.. So the next day, I woke up early, determined to spend about two hours in the kitchen and then, having gotten that out of the way, get on with other waiting work. So, when I noticed that there were no onions, no celery, no sour cream, and no foil in the house, I was not keen to spend half an hour on a shopping trip , biking all the way down to the village, and back again uphill...! So I decided to be flexible. I made a few changes and, actually, it turned out very good! So here is my version of a lovely beet soup!

serves 2

2 medium beets
1 large leek
2-3 garlic cloves
a pinch of ground ginger
a dash of pepper
1 tbsp butter



Wash the beets and cut off their leaves. These can be put aside and used as greens in an omellette, sauteed, etc..
Wrap the beet and garlic cloves, still in their peel, in a bit of foil, or, as I did, some parchment.



Roast them in the oven for about 1 hour at 170 - 180 C.. It is actually a good idea to make bread at the same time, as the beets do not take up too much space in the oven, and bread and some salad are great to serve with this soup.

 ( In case you decide to do this, you must roast the beet for about 10 minutes less, as the temperature will have to be higher for the first 35 minutes, because of the bread, and  you can use this recipe: http://sofimay-cookingandbaking.blogspot.com.es/2013/09/home-made-white-bread.html)


While they are getting on with things in the oven, you can fry the leeks, chopped, with some butter or olive oil, in a large pot.

When the beets come out they will be softer and more coloured, you can cut them open easily and cut them in chunks, and squeeze the garlic out of its skin. 




Now add the chunks to the leeks in the pot together with the garlic and some water. In my case it turned out very thick and I like it that way, but if you like a more liquid soup, add a little more..

















No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario